Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed October 24, 2012
Datebook: October 24 - Houdini's Final Performance 86 Years Ago
Famous escape artist Harry Houdini arrived at the Garrick Theater on this day in 1926 with a fever of 104, and despite being diagnosed with appendicitis, and having been punched in the stomach several times by an over-eager art student, he took to the stage. He died of peritonitis due to a ruptured appendix a week later, on Halloween.
It’s Wednesday, October 24
The Murray State University Symphony Orchestra presents its first full concert of the fall semester tomorrow evening at 7:30 in Lovett Auditorium. The program features compositions by Holst, Gordon Jacob, and Tchaikovsky. For more information, call 809-4288.
Little Shop of Horrors continues this weekend at Murray’s Playhouse in the Park. A floral shop assistant becomes an overnight sensation with the help of an ill-tempered, R&B-singing carnivorous plant. Shows are Friday and Saturday at 7PM and Sunday at 2:30. Reserve tickets by calling the Playhouse at 759-1752.
The American Red Cross holds a blood drive tomorrow afternoon at First Presbyterian Church in Murray, located on the corner of 16th and Main. Hours are 12:30 to 5:30. Donors must be at least 18 years old, must be in good health, and must weigh at least 110 pounds. To schedule an appointment, visitredcrossblood.org.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.