Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Tue October 23, 2012
Datebook: October 23 - The Smurfs Debut 54 Years Ago
On this day in 1958, those loveable blue dwarves appeared for the first time in La flute à six schtroumpfs, a Belgian comic by cartoonist Peyo. Standing three-apples high, the smurfberry munching creatures often smurfed to the smurf to smurf the smurfing Gargamel and his cat Azrael. Some critics have called the cartoon an example of socialism or totalitarianism in Europe. We call it a smurfing good time.
It’s Tuesday, October 23
Market House Theatre in Paducah offers Oak Grove Cemetery Tours this weekend. Take a guided tour of the cemetery and hear stories of triumph and tragedy told by those who dwell there. Tours leave from the cemetery office at 7 and 8 o’clock on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. For reservations, call 444-6828.
The Alzheimer’s Association offers a video conference panel Thursday afternoon at 5:30. Experts answer questions about Alzheimer’s disease. Locations include the Pennyrile Area Development District office in Hopkinsville and Trover Clinic in Madisonville. To learn more, call 859-323-1331.
Murray State University’s Advanced Public Relations students invite community members to participate in a focus group on Thursday. Topics include Freedom Fest and tourism in Murray. The group meets at Wilson Hall from 11 to 12:15. Lunch will be provided.
Find more community events at wkms.org.