Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Thu October 11, 2012
Datebook: October 11 - Teddy Roosevelt Becomes First President to Fly in a Plane
On this day in 1910, former president Theodore Roosevelt flew in a plane for four minutes with Wright Bros. pilot Arch Hoxsey in St. Louis. He was also the first to be submerged in a submarine, own a car, have a telephone, travel outside of the US, and the first to give record keepers chronic fatigue.
It’s Thursday, October 11
The Make A Difference Community Food Drive invites Paducah residents to bring nonperishable food items to the Paducah Cooperative Ministry during the month of October. This year’s goal is to collect 10,000 pounds of food to help households in need. The Paducah Cooperative Ministry is located at 402 Legion Drive.
The Museums of Historic Hopkinsville-Christian County host Supper in the Cemetery on Saturday in Pembroke’s Rosedale Cemetery beginning at 3 o’clock. Learn about some of Pembroke’s most colorful former residents, then enjoy a chili supper. Call 887-4270 for tickets.
Land Between the Lakes hosts a Nature Photography Van Tour on Saturday. Four-hour sessions begin at 8AM and at 2PM. The morning session tours northern LBL with a stop at the Nature Station, and the afternoon session tours Southern LBL with stops at the Homeplace and the Elk and Bison Prairie. Register by calling 924-2020.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.