Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Thu November 29, 2012
Datebook: November 29 - Pong Turns 40
The cultural influence of a simple electronic version of table tennis announced on this day in 1972 is virtually "mind-blowing." Allan Alcorn and Atari co-founder Nolan Bushnell put a Pong prototype in a tavern and it became an instant hit, earning an unprecedented $35-40 a day. Sears produced a home version in 1975, selling 150,000 units that holiday season. I'll take Pong over Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 any day!
It’s Thursday, November 29
The Woman’s Club of Madisonville hosts a Holiday Tour of Homes Sunday afternoon from 1 to 5. Visit five homes decorated for the season and enjoy cookies and cider. $10 tickets are available in advance at the Madisonville-Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce or at Armstrong Coal Company on the day of the tour.
Angels Attic of Murray hosts its 8th annual Christmas Bazaar on Saturday from 11 to 5. The Attic is now open in two locations, one at 972 Chestnut and another at 976 Arcadia Circle. The bazaar features Christmas décor, gift items, and much more. Proceeds support the Angels Community Clinic.
Downtown Murray hosts Dickens Alley and Main Street Merriment. Tomorrow night from 5:30 to 8, watch the lighting of the tree, walk through Old London, and listen to storytellers. On Saturday, enjoy carolers and activities throughout the afternoon, followed by the Community Band Christmas Concert at 7 at First Baptist Church.
See details about community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.