Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed May 8, 2013
Datebook: May 8 - Messner & Habeler Reach the Top of Mt. Everest 35 Years Ago
They weren't the first to reach the top of Mt. Everest, but on this day in 1978, Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler became the first to the summit without supplemental oxygen. Before them, such a feat was thought to be impossible. Messner did it again in 1980.
It’s Wednesday, May 8
Angels Attic Thrift Shop seeks donations of men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing; furniture; appliances; household items; and toys. Sale proceeds benefit Angels Community Clinic, which provides health care to the working uninsured in Calloway County. Bring donations to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5, or call 762-0505 for pickup.
Graves County High School musical theater students present "Thoroughly Modern Millie" Thursday and Friday nights at 7 at the district's Performing Arts Center. The play tells the story of a young woman who becomes a flapper in the Roaring '20s in New York. Tickets are $5 at the door.
The Paris Rotary Club offers a Ham and Egg Breakfast Saturday morning from 6 to 11 at Paris Elementary School. Proceeds benefit the REAL Hope Youth Center, W.G. Rhea Public Library, two backpack food programs for kids, and several scholarships. For more information, call (815) 499-1220.