Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Wed May 8, 2013
Datebook: May 8 - Messner & Habeler Reach the Top of Mt. Everest 35 Years Ago
They weren't the first to reach the top of Mt. Everest, but on this day in 1978, Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler became the first to the summit without supplemental oxygen. Before them, such a feat was thought to be impossible. Messner did it again in 1980.
It’s Wednesday, May 8
Angels Attic Thrift Shop seeks donations of men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing; furniture; appliances; household items; and toys. Sale proceeds benefit Angels Community Clinic, which provides health care to the working uninsured in Calloway County. Bring donations to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5, or call 762-0505 for pickup.
Graves County High School musical theater students present "Thoroughly Modern Millie" Thursday and Friday nights at 7 at the district's Performing Arts Center. The play tells the story of a young woman who becomes a flapper in the Roaring '20s in New York. Tickets are $5 at the door.
The Paris Rotary Club offers a Ham and Egg Breakfast Saturday morning from 6 to 11 at Paris Elementary School. Proceeds benefit the REAL Hope Youth Center, W.G. Rhea Public Library, two backpack food programs for kids, and several scholarships. For more information, call (815) 499-1220.