Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Fri March 8, 2013
Datebook: March 8 - Philips Demonstrates The Compact Disc
Philips and Sony were in dead heat debuting the compact disc, but Philips edged out the competition by a week and made the first public demonstration on this day in 1979. The demo showed that it was possible to use optical recording and playback to reproduce audio in stereo quality.
It’s Friday, March 8
Neighborhood Watch Training is offered tomorrow evening at 5 at Kelly Baptist Church in Hopkinsville. Everyone in Christian County is invited to attend. Neighborhood Watch is a network of neighbors trained in home and self protection, suspect identification, and how to serve effectively as eyes and ears for law enforcement agencies. For more information, call 885-1530.
Students in the West Kentucky Community and Technical College cosmetology program host a Spa Day tomorrow from 8 to 4 at the WKCTC cosmetology department. Services available include manicures, pedicures, facials, hair cuts, makeup application, and more. Make appointments by calling 534-3410.
Violinist Ji-Myung Kim, faculty member at Western Kentucky University, performs a guest artist recital Sunday evening at 6 in Murray State University's Farrell Recital Hall, located on the 3rd floor of the Price Doyle Fine Arts Building.
Find more community events at wkms.org, where you can pledge your support to public radio. Thanks.