Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu June 6, 2013
Datebook: June 6 - First Drive-In Theater Opens 80 Years Ago
Richard M. Hollingshead Jr., a New Jersey chemical company magnate, got the idea from his mother who was allegedly too large to sit comfortably in a regular movie theater. He purchased a 40x50 ft. screen and two six-foot speakers and charged 25-cents per person. His ad read, "The whole family is welcome, regardless of how noisy the children are."
It’s Thursday, June 6
The Paducah Symphony Orchestra has announced the first PSO Summer Music Camp for elementary, middle, and high school students, to be held June 17th through the 21st at West Kentucky Community and Technical College. The camp includes ear training, music theory, and masterclasses and concludes with a Summer Showcase. Register online at paducahsymphony.org.
Classic rock band Midlife Crisis performs Saturday night at 7 at the Graves County Courthouse lawn as part of the Summer Music Festival. See a complete listing of bands performing free concerts every Saturday night in June and July on the courthouse lawn at cityofmayfield.org. Bring lawn chairs or blankets. Weather permitting.
The Humane Society of Calloway County offers $10 microchipping at a Rabies Clinic to be held tonight from 7-8 at the Murray Health Department. For a complete schedule of other clinics offering rabies vaccinations only, visit forthepets.org.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.