Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Mon July 30, 2012
Datebook: July 30 - Flowers and Trees Released 80 Years Ago
Walt Disney's Flowers and Trees was released on this day in 1932, becoming the first commercially released film to be produced in full-color, three-strip Technicolor. The short was a commercial and critical success, winning the first Academy Award for Animated Short Subjects. Additionally, moviegoers learned that when no one is around, trees do calisthenics.
It’s Monday, July 30
Lake Barkley State Resort Park hosts “History & Humor, Hummin’ & Strummin’ 2012” Wednesday evening from 6 to 10. The free outdoor event features four Chautauqua performances. Actors portray Colonel Harland Sanders; Mary Settles, the last Shaker at Pleasant Hill; abolitionist John G. Fee; and Private William Greathouse, a soldier in the War of 1812.
Tomorrow is the last day to see the Cold War Patriots Remembrance Quilt, currently on display at the National Quilt Museum in Paducah. The quilt honors and remembers the contributions of nuclear and uranium workers. The National Quilt Museum is open Monday through Saturday from 10 to 5 and Sundays from 1 to 5.
Auditions for the Paducah Symphony Orchestra Youth and Children’s Choruses start on Thursday, August 9. Auditions are open to students grades 3 through 12 and are held at First Presbyterian Church in Paducah. Schedule an audition time by calling (270) 444-0065.
See more community events at wkms.org.