Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Tue July 2, 2013
Datebook: July 2 - First Steam Engine Patented 315 Years Ago
James Watt's steam engine produced a continuous rotative motion, but nearly 100 years earlier, Thomas Savery was tinkering with steam. Savery's engine had no moving parts except the taps, but used heat and pressure to move water, primarily to drain water from mines. It didn't work very well, but it was the first.
It’s Tuesday, July 2
Mayfield celebrates Glory Days on Thursday with a car/truck/bike show, a farmer’s market, a pet show, kids’ activities, music, and food. The day’s events start at 9AM and conclude with fireworks at 9PM at the Mayfield High School Track. See more information at cityofmayfield.org.
Friday’s the last day to register for the Paducah Parks Services Summer Coed Kickball League for ages 14 and up. Games begin July 11 and conclude with a tournament at the end of the season. The cost to register is $150 for a 10 to 20 player team. For more information, call 270-444-8508 or visit paducahky.gov.
The Homeplace at Land Between the Lakes celebrates Independence Day Thursday afternoon from 1 to 4. The 1850s celebration includes a visit from popular statesman Henry Clay as portrayed by George McGee, period games, old-time music, and watermelon. Find details at lbl.org.