Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- IL State Workers Worried Over Pension Debate
Mon January 7, 2013
Datebook: January 7 - Mantell UFO Incident 65 Years Ago
On this day in 1948, Kentucky Air National Guard pilot, Captain Thomas Mantell crashed and died in pursuit of a UFO. Witnesses had reported a westbound circular object near Maysville with a "flaming red cone trailing a gaseous green mist." Some think it was a weather balloon, but no one knows for sure...
It’s Monday, January 7
Angels Attic Thrift Shop needs donations of clothing, furniture, appliances, household items, and toys. Proceeds support the Angels Community Clinic, which helps Calloway County residents without medical insurance. Bring items to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5, or call 762-0505 for pickup.
The Alzheimer’s Support Group holds a regular monthly meeting tomorrow morning at 10 at the Pennyrile Area Development District Office in Hopkinsville. For more information, call James Patterson at (270) 886-9484.
Poet Beth Ann Fennelly gives a reading at the Clara Eagle Art Gallery tonight at 7:30. The gallery is on the sixth floor of the Price Doyle Fine Arts Building. The reading is free and open to the public, with a book signing and reception to follow. For details, call 809-4727.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.