Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Wed August 7, 2013
Datebook: Father of the 7-String Guitar Turns 100
George Van Eps was a swing and jazz guitarist, often referred to as "the father of the seven string guitar.' Tuning his seven string to a low A, the expanded guitar allowed him to add bass lines into his improvisation. He was a strong influence on other 7-string players, Howard Alden and Bucky and John Pizzarelli.
It’s Wednesday, August 7
The ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) Support Group meets tonight at 6 at the Murray-Calloway County Hospital Center for Health and Wellness. For more information, call 270-293-1748.
The Western Kentucky State Park Race Series starts this Saturday with the Hot August 5K at Kenlake State Resort Park in Aurora. Runners can take part in all five Western Kentucky races to capture the overall championship based on a point system. Other races throughout the fall are scheduled at the Pennyrile, Lake Barkley, Kentucky Dam Village, and John James Audubon parks. To register, visit www.parks.ky.gov and click on “Get Your Race On.”
The Pennyroyal Area Museum in Hopkinsville offers a special exhibit titled “Aisle of Style: 70 Years of Wedding Fashion,” on display through Saturday. Six dresses represent popular fashion trends from the late 19th through the mid-20th centuries. Details at museumsofhopkinsville.org.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.