Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Mon December 17, 2012
Datebook: December 17 - Grant Expels Jews from TN, KY and MS 150 Years Ago
On this day, General Grant issued General Order No. 11, expelling Jews from TN, KY and MS, including our listening area. He suspected Jewish traders of "profiteering" on organizing the illegal trade of black-market cotton. Lincoln expressed disbelief upon finding out and ordered Grant to revoke the order three days later. Hear a conversation with Dr. Jonathan Sarna, author of When General Grant Expelled the Jews.
It’s Monday, December 17
The Hopkinsville High School Choral Department presents their winter choir concert tomorrow night. The concert is at 7 in the Christian County Schools Performing Arts Center, located at 215 Glass Avenue in Hopkinsville. Tickets are $3 at the door.
Land Between the Lakes offers free cedar Christmas trees through December 24th. Pick up permits, maps, and cutting guidelines from the Administrative Office during the week or from the Golden Pond Visitor Center on the weekends. For details, visit lbl.org and click on “Newsroom.”
The Henry County Medical Center hosts the “Books Are Fun” book fair on Wednesday. Featured categories include children’s books, cookbooks, New York Times bestsellers, music collections, and more. The book fair runs from 7 to 4 in classrooms 2 and 3 on the Terrace Level. Proceeds benefit the Henry County Healthcare Foundation.
Tune in tomorrow at noon to hear A Jazz Piano Christmas. See a complete schedule of holiday specials at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.