Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Fri August 31, 2012
Datebook: August 31 - Caligula Turns 2000
This Roman emperor is really, really old today, but he was only 24 when he succeeded his great-uncle (and 28 when he was assassinated). He is largely remembered as a cruel, extravagant, and perverse tyrant who sought unconstrained power. However, he initiated the construction of two new aqueducts and annexed Mauretania. But that stuff's not as interesting.
It’s Friday, August 31
The Humane Society of Calloway County holds Dog and Puppy Obedience Classes beginning September 5th. Classes meet Wednesdays at 6PM, with an eight-week series for dogs and a seven-week series for puppies. The cost is $50 for Humane Society members, or $70 for non-members. To register, call (270) 759-1884.
An exhibit of Cherokee Language Paintings by Jannette Parent goes on display at the Janice Mason Art Museum Sunday. The opening reception starts at 2, offering patrons a chance to meet the artist and discuss her work. The museum is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 to 4 and on Sundays from 1 to 4. Admission is free.
The 2012 Soybean Talent Show will be held Monday evening in downtown Martin, Tennessee. The competition begins at 6, with the Mid-South Preliminary Division for ages 13 to 21 starting at 7. Today’s the deadline for entries; call 731-587-5549 for more information.
Have a safe and happy holiday weekend. Thanks for listening.