Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri August 30, 2013
Datebook: August 30 - The "Red Telephone" Goes Into Operation 50 Years Ago
The Moscow-Washington Hotline allows direct communication between leaders in the US and Russia - from the Pentagon to the Kremlin, and it is actually neither the color red, nor a telephone. It originated as a teletype machine, then facsimile unit, and is now email exchange. But a red phone is much more interesting.
It’s Friday, August 30
The Homeplace at Land Between the Lakes hosts a Trades Fair tomorrow and Sunday from 10 to 4 daily. Trades and crafts represented include chair making, cooking, quilting, knitting, spinning, bee keeping, historical instrument building, and woodworking. Find a complete schedule at lbl.org.
The Paris Landing State Park 2013 Fall Photo Contest starts Sunday and runs through October 15. Amateur photographers of any age can submit 8x10 photos taken in the park in the categories of wildlife, plant life, people in parks, scenery, sports, and black-and-white. For more information call 270-641-4450.
The 4th annual Rotary Scooper Bowl, part of the Ice Cream Festival, is next Friday night from 6 to 9 in downtown Murray. Non-profit organizations serve their favorite homemade ice cream recipes. A $5 admission ($1 for children) buys a voting ticket. Teams receive prize money based on the number of votes. For more information about hosting a booth, call 270-759-2199.