Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Fri August 24, 2012
Datebook: August 24 - Pluto Gets Demoted 6 Years Ago
Poor Pluto... On this day in 2006, the International Astronomical Union redefined the term "planet." Under the new rules, Pluto is now considered a Dwarf Planet. But we love it just the same.
It’s Friday, August 24
The Murray Band Boosters Fall Pancake Breakfast is tomorrow morning from 7:30 to 10:30 at the MurrayMiddle School cafeteria. A $5 ticket buys all-you-can-eat pancakes, eggs, sausage, and a drink. Proceeds help with instrument repairs, equipment, transportation, and other band expenses.
Maiden Alley Cinema hosts the world theatrical premiere of “Pickin’ and Grinnin’,” a musical road comedy about two brothers searching for meaning in an otherwise meaningless life. The film screens tonight at 7 and 9, and on Sunday at 4 and 7. For details, see maidenalleycinema.org.
The FIRST Lego Robotics team of Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School gives demonstrations tomorrow at the Pennyroyal Area Museum in downtown Hopkinsville. Stop by the museum between 10 and 2 to learn more about the nationally-known competition, which focuses on solving mobility issues through computerized robotics. For more information, call the museum at (270) 887-4270.
See more community events at wkms.org.