Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Wed August 14, 2013
Datebook: August 14 - Recorded Sound Introduced in London 125 Years Ago
On this day in 1888, businessman George Gouraud played Thomas Edison's brand new phonograph at a press conference in London, featuring "The Lost Chord" composed by Arthur Sullivan, one of the first recordings ever made. Parties ensued.
It’s Wednesday, August 14
The John James Audubon Museum presents its annual "Shutterbug" juried photography exhibition. The exhibit runs through Friday and is on display from 10 to 5 daily. See color film, black-and-white, and digital nature works by regional and local photographers. The exhibit is free to the public.
The Mental Illness (NAMI) Support Group for families and friends of persons suffering from mental illness meets tomorrow evening at 6:30 in the Murray-Calloway County Hospital Educational Services Building located on 8th Street. For more information, call 270-748-6133 or 270-748-6923.
Downtown Mayfield holds the monthly Top Gun Car Show Series Cruise-In Saturday afternoon with cars arriving at 4. At 7, the Mid-Continent Gospel Music Fest continues with the Gaither Reunion's Ann Downing on the courthouse lawn. For more information on the cruise-ins, call 270-382-2139.