Most Active Stories
- Public-Private Project to Bring "I-Way" Statewide by 2017
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
- Rose Sets Focus on Sewer Project, City Hall, Downtown for His First Few Weeks as Murray Mayor
- LBL Scenery Management Plan May See Revisions In Response to Public Concerns
- Kentucky Regulators OK State’s First Utility-Scale Solar Array
Mon June 3, 2013
Crowd Expected at Henderson UMWA Rally
The United Mine Workers of America will stage a protest in Henderson Tuesday over Patriot Coal’s move to end its contract and reduce wages and benefits for active union members.
The UMWA will bring more than 30 busloads of supporters from around the Midwest and Appalachia to the Henderson County Courthouse in western Kentucky. A ruling by a federal bankruptcy judge last week authorized Patriot to make a variety of financial moves during reorganization.
Speakers include UMWA President Cecil Roberts, Sens. Dorsey Ridley of Henderson and Jerry Rhoads of Madisonville and Rep. Brent Yonts of Greenville.
The UMWA have already staged rallies in St. Louis, where Patriot is headquartered, and in Charleston W.Va.