Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue April 9, 2013
Crews Work to Contain Shawnee Forest Blaze
Crews are working to contain a fire that has damaged at least 14 acres of the sprawling Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois.
U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Patricia York says at least one-quarter of the blaze is contained at Little Grand Canyon near Pomona, southwest of Carbondale, in Jackson County.
Authorities believe a person caused the fire. Law enforcement and fire investigators have are on the scene. The blaze began about a quarter-mile from the trailhead and about 20 feet off the trail.
York says the fire burned only national forest land, and the only structure threatened was a restroom shelter at the trailhead.