Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue May 1, 2012
Commission to Give Opinion on Illinois Facility Closure Plan
A legislative commission is scheduled to give its opinion on Illinois Governor Pat Quinn's plans to close several state facilities, including the Tamms maximum security prison in southern Illinois. But the commission's vote is advisory only and the governor can close the prisons, mental institutions and offices no matter the findings. Quinn says closing the prisons would save money, while closing other facilities would lead to improved care for people with developmental disabilities. The Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability is scheduled to convene this morning.