Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Wed December 19, 2012
Columbia Theatre Restoration Progresses
The heads of two of the Paducah groups working together to restore and reopen the downtown Columbia Theatre as a multipurpose facility updated Mayor Bill Paxton and city commissioners last night on their progress. The Paducah Renaissance Alliance and Maiden Alley Cinema have combined efforts to revitalize the historic building. PRA Executive Director Lisa Thompson says they hope to turn it into a space for local events such as performances, music, dance recitals, film showings and more.
“How great would it be, when the library does lectures and things like that, you know, if they needed a bigger auditorium, to have it in the Columbia—to use it as a space for communities," she says. "We want it to be a facility for all of us.”
Thompson says the City is working to restore the marquee lighting and the front entrance, while a nonprofit called the Columbia Club is also fundraising for other renovation projects. Thompson says she hopes the facility will open in four years.