Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Clarks River Wildlife Refuge
Tue February 21, 2012
Clarks River National Wildlife Refuge Gets Permission to Expand
Congress has authorized West Kentucky’s Clarks River National Wildlife Refuge to expand by more than 34,000 acres. The expansion would leave the refuge about four times larger than its current size. Refuge Manager Michael Johnson says the new land would give the refuge a chance for major improvements. He says,
“We can provide better recreational opportunities, we can do a better job protecting and managing the wildlife that’s in this area. And we have this chance with this plan, which is kind of what I see as a one shot deal to get things, what I call, ‘Right.’”
Johnson says the expansion would take several years to complete. He says despite the fears of some people in the expansion area, property will only be acquired from willing sellers. Johnson says the expansion project's final cost would depend on who decides to sell property to the refuge.