Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu November 12, 2009
Central Ken. Prison Riot Theory
By Tony McVeigh/ Paco Long-Mendez
Frankfort, KY – A total lockdown that followed an inmate-on-inmate assault is the cause of an August riot at a central Kentucky prison. At least that's the opinion of Northpoint Training Center employee Vick Morris, who testified before a legislative panel in Frankfort. Morris called the food at the prison, "slop," but said it was not the cause of the riot.
"When the controlled movement announcement and these new schedules were posted in the dorms by the unit administrators just before they boogied, it ignited very volatile fuses. The riot was all about some muscle flexing back, not about crappy vittles, per se."
Corrections Commissioner Ladonna Thompson listened to Morris' testimony, but chose not to respond. She says the facts will come out tomorrow, when a Critical Incident Review Team that studied the riot issues its final report.