Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Tue February 18, 2014
Carbondale Police Find Body of Missing SIU Student
The Carbondale Police have found the the body of the Southern Illinois University student missing since last Wednesday.
Carbondale Police Chief Jody O’Guinn says officers found the body of 19 year-old Pravin Varughese at 9:45AM this morning in a wooded area off of East Main Street.
Varughese was last seen at 11 pm on February 12th with a recent acquaintance giving him a ride home from a party. Police say there was an argument and Varughese left the car and fled into a wooded area.
O’Guinn says the difficult terrain and cold temperature may have contributed to Varughese failing to find his way out of the woods.
Autopsy and toxicology report are pending. Police do not suspect foul play at this time.
The CPD was assisted by the Illinois State Police Aviation Unit, Black Diamond Aviation, and local search and rescue K-9 teams.
The Carbondale Police Department is expected to provide an update on a missing Southern Illinois University student this afternoon.
Pravin Varughese, 19, was last seen near campus the evening of Feb 12.
Varughese’s family has offered a $15,000 reward for information leading to his recovery. Today's press conference is scheduled for 2 p.m.