Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Fri February 19, 2010
Budget outline in Frankfort
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – A state budget outline unveiled Thursday by Kentucky House leaders requires universities to trim spending two-percent in each year of the next biennium. But House budget chairman Rick Rand says lawmakers aren't picking on the universities.
"This is an unprecedented time. And I don't think probably any area of state government's gonna be exempt from sharing in the balancing of this budget. We don't have anything against them. We're just doing our best to manage this crisis."
Rand says House leaders are still trying to find some maintenance and operations dollars for the universities. House hearings on the spending plan begin next week.