Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Fri February 19, 2010
Budget outline in Frankfort
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – A state budget outline unveiled Thursday by Kentucky House leaders requires universities to trim spending two-percent in each year of the next biennium. But House budget chairman Rick Rand says lawmakers aren't picking on the universities.
"This is an unprecedented time. And I don't think probably any area of state government's gonna be exempt from sharing in the balancing of this budget. We don't have anything against them. We're just doing our best to manage this crisis."
Rand says House leaders are still trying to find some maintenance and operations dollars for the universities. House hearings on the spending plan begin next week.