Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri February 19, 2010
Budget outline in Frankfort
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – A state budget outline unveiled Thursday by Kentucky House leaders requires universities to trim spending two-percent in each year of the next biennium. But House budget chairman Rick Rand says lawmakers aren't picking on the universities.
"This is an unprecedented time. And I don't think probably any area of state government's gonna be exempt from sharing in the balancing of this budget. We don't have anything against them. We're just doing our best to manage this crisis."
Rand says House leaders are still trying to find some maintenance and operations dollars for the universities. House hearings on the spending plan begin next week.