Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Fri June 1, 2012
Bird's Point Levee Contracts Awarded
Three companies have been awarded up to $20 million in contacts to repair the Bird's Point Levee. The levee was blow last year to prevent flooding in Fulton County, Kentucky and Cairo, Illinois.
Officials with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers say the project could be done by the end of 2012 if there are no more delays. Cops Program Director Dennis Abernathy says safeguards in the new levee will be the same as those before the 2011 flood.
"Right now the only alternative is to do what we have approved now and that is to use a blasting agent."
Harold Coffey Construction of Hickman County, Young's Contracting of Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and Kingridge Enterprises of Little Rock, Arkansas were the three firms to contracts.