Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Tue July 24, 2012
Bird’s Point Levee Scheduled for Completion
The Army Corps of Engineers says the Bird’s Point Levee in southeast Missouri will be back to its former size by the end of the year.
Corps Spokesman Jim Pogue says repairs will raise the levee to a height of 62 and a half feet on the Illinois river gauge, the same height as before the levee was intentionally breeched in 2011. Construction of the levee was halted in June due to claims of an inappropriate bidding structure and possible environmental damage stemming from the construction. Pogue says the work should be completed by December as long as weather and river conditions are favorable.