Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Wed June 26, 2013
Bigger Posts Absorb Cuts As Army Downsizes
A new U.S. Army restructuring plan means Fort Campbell and Fort Knox will each lose an active duty combat brigade. The units to be eliminated by 2017 are Fort Campbell’s 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, currently deployed to Afghanistan, and the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Knox's only combat brigade.
Fort Campbell spokesman Robert Jenkins says the community should not necessarily expect a mass exodus of troops because those in the deactivated brigades will be transferred to other units.