Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Wed June 26, 2013
Bigger Posts Absorb Cuts As Army Downsizes
A new U.S. Army restructuring plan means Fort Campbell and Fort Knox will each lose an active duty combat brigade. The units to be eliminated by 2017 are Fort Campbell’s 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, currently deployed to Afghanistan, and the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Knox's only combat brigade.
Fort Campbell spokesman Robert Jenkins says the community should not necessarily expect a mass exodus of troops because those in the deactivated brigades will be transferred to other units.