Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed June 26, 2013
Bigger Posts Absorb Cuts As Army Downsizes
A new U.S. Army restructuring plan means Fort Campbell and Fort Knox will each lose an active duty combat brigade. The units to be eliminated by 2017 are Fort Campbell’s 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, currently deployed to Afghanistan, and the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Knox's only combat brigade.
Fort Campbell spokesman Robert Jenkins says the community should not necessarily expect a mass exodus of troops because those in the deactivated brigades will be transferred to other units.