Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon December 9, 2013
Big Rivers Starts Workforce Reductions
Big Rivers Corp. says it expects to trim its workforce by 165 positions when it idles two generating plants.
The Messenger-Inquirer reports that the western Kentucky utility sent layoff notices to employees last week.
The layoffs are part of the utility's continuing adjustment to the loss of two smelter-customers. Both plants canceled long-term contracts to get cheaper power on the open wholesale market.
Big Rivers spokesman Marty Littrel says the utility's Wilson generating plant is expected to be idled in February, followed by the idling of the Coleman plant no later than June.
He says other reductions are expected at the company's Henderson headquarters, but the exact number isn't known yet.