Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Press Releases & Events
Mon January 25, 2010
Big Apple Caf and WKMS Celebrate Ice Storm Anniversary
By Jenni Todd
Murray, KY – The Big Apple Caf in Murray celebrates the anniversary of last year's Ice Storm with a fundraising event for WKMS, Murray State's listener-supported public radio service and NPR member station, on Friday, January 29.
WKMS staff and volunteers will be at the Apple Friday from 6-9 p.m., offering door prize drawings and other surprises. Big Apple Caf 's Boone Chambers has pledged to donate 10% of the day's proceeds to benefit the upcoming spring fundraiser. WKMS depends on community support for a significant portion of its operating budget, conducting fundraisers twice annually to sustain its broadcast services. The community has made it possible for the station to be celebrating its fortieth anniversary May 11, 2010 to May 11, 2011.
WKMS broadcasts at 91.3 FM, 92.1 FM, Paducah; 99.5 FM, Paris, Tennessee; and 105.1 FM, Madisonville. WKMS also broadcasts on 91.3 WKMS HD-1 and 91.3 WKMS HD-2 featuring Classical 24, and streams both channels online at www.wkms.org, an extensive web resource of information regarding the programming schedules for both channels and more. The station also offers the toll-free line 800-599-4737 for further inquiries.