Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon January 28, 2013
Beshear Touts Tax Credit
As tax season shifts into high gear, Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear is urging low-wage-earning Kentuckians to take advantage of a federal tax credit.
Beshear says nearly a half million Kentucky taxpayers are eligible to receive the earned income tax credit. He says the credit can help struggling families buy food and clothes and pay bills. In the 2011 tax year, Kentuckians filed nearly 401,000 earned income tax credit claims for more than $905 million dollars in benefits. The average credit was more than $2,000 dollars. The Internal Revenue Service estimates 15 to 20 percent of eligible workers don't claim the benefit, mostly due to lack of awareness.