Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Government Shutdown 2013
Wed October 16, 2013
Beshear Plans Shutdown Press Conference
Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has scheduled a press conference for today to discuss the impact of the federal government shutdown on the state’s families.
The U.S. government halted most non-essential government services 16 days ago, forcing unplanned furloughs for thousands of federal workers.
Beshear is expected to tell reporters that more serious problems could begin Oct. 31, when funds for lots of government services will dry up, if Congress doesn't resolve the spending impasse.
The press conference will be at the state Capitol at 2 p.m. eastern time.