Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- USEC Operations at PGPD Won't Continue
- Murray Woman Shares Story of Ongoing Persecution of Baha'is in Iran
Tue October 30, 2012
Beshear Orders KYTC to Expedite Permits for Hurricane Relief Transport
Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has signed an executive order directing the state Transportation Cabinet to expedite the transportation of emergency supplies to Hurricane Sandy victims. The order directs the cabinet to waive special registration and permit requirements for vehicles carrying relief supplies such as food, water and medicine.
The waiver also applies to utility vehicles that are responding to power outages or removing debris. Although the response vehicles do not have to pay permit fees for oversized or overweight vehicles, they still must obtain permits for route verification. Beshear says after responding to a series of weather disasters as governor, he knows that quick action is critical to recovery efforts.