Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon June 10, 2013
Beshear To Meet With Legislative Leaders Next Week
Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear is expected to meet this week with House Speaker Greg Stumbo and Senate President Robert Stivers to try to work on a plan to resolve legislative redistricting. The governor made the announcement Friday. He says he’s confident the issue will be resolved in a special session sometime this year.
Each decade, lawmakers are required to draw new legislative district boundaries to account for population changes recorded in the census. Kentucky had major population shifts between 2000 and 2010, requiring changes in boundary lines to comply with the federal and state "one person, one vote" mandate. Two federal lawsuits have been filed in recent weeks to speed up the process in the Commonwealth. One asks that a three-judge panel redraw boundaries.