Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
The Economy Project
Thu November 5, 2009
Beshear: KY Needs to Act on Casinos after OH Vote
By Chris Taylor
Frankfort, KY – Governor Steve Beshear says now's the time for Kentucky to act on approving expanded gambling, a day after Ohio voters approved casinos in four cities. Beshear says Ohio residents are going to be reaping the benefits of thousands of new jobs and millions in new tax dollars. Beshear says the state "can't afford to wait any longer" on the issue, claiming it could lead to immediate economic benefits in Kentucky.
Kentucky already allows gambling on a state lotto, bingo and horse racing. But Beshear has been a staunch advocate of legalizing additional forms of gambling, such as video gambling machines at horse racing tracks. A gambling measure cleared the Kentucky House earlier this year, before stalling in the state Senate.