Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
The Economy Project
Thu November 5, 2009
Beshear: KY Needs to Act on Casinos after OH Vote
By Chris Taylor
Frankfort, KY – Governor Steve Beshear says now's the time for Kentucky to act on approving expanded gambling, a day after Ohio voters approved casinos in four cities. Beshear says Ohio residents are going to be reaping the benefits of thousands of new jobs and millions in new tax dollars. Beshear says the state "can't afford to wait any longer" on the issue, claiming it could lead to immediate economic benefits in Kentucky.
Kentucky already allows gambling on a state lotto, bingo and horse racing. But Beshear has been a staunch advocate of legalizing additional forms of gambling, such as video gambling machines at horse racing tracks. A gambling measure cleared the Kentucky House earlier this year, before stalling in the state Senate.