Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Wed March 18, 2009
Beshear Drops Deadlines
By Angela Hatton
Murray, KY – Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has vetoed a measure that would have required 10 pending state road projects be completed by June 30, 2010. Those projects include US 68/KY 80 through Land Between the Lakes, which is less than fifty percent complete. Beshear says a timeline isn't what's needed right now.
"That unnecessarily tied our hands in a very difficult financial period to where we wouldn't have the flexibility we need to be able to move forward as fast as we can one way or the other."
Senate President David Williams doesn't approve of the veto, but says he won't lead any effort to override it. The governor's decision does not affect road project funding.