Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed March 18, 2009
Beshear Drops Deadlines
By Angela Hatton
Murray, KY – Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has vetoed a measure that would have required 10 pending state road projects be completed by June 30, 2010. Those projects include US 68/KY 80 through Land Between the Lakes, which is less than fifty percent complete. Beshear says a timeline isn't what's needed right now.
"That unnecessarily tied our hands in a very difficult financial period to where we wouldn't have the flexibility we need to be able to move forward as fast as we can one way or the other."
Senate President David Williams doesn't approve of the veto, but says he won't lead any effort to override it. The governor's decision does not affect road project funding.