Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed July 10, 2013
Beshear didn't know in advance of Grimes' campaign
Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear says he wasn't given a heads up before fellow Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes announced her U.S. Senate bid last week. But he says he doesn't see it as a slight. The governor says he's eager to help Grimes in her effort to unseat five-term Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell next year. Beshear himself lost a Senate race to McConnell in the 1990s.
Beshear and Grimes' father are former political rivals. And Grimes defeated the governor's appointee to win election as the Commonwealth's secretary of state two years ago. Beshear says he didn't get the customary notification of Grimes' intention to run before she called a news conference to announce it. But he says he had already pledged his support in any way possible.