Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon July 8, 2013
Beshear Calls Energy Sec. Meeting a “Productive Exchange" on PGDP
Gov. Steve Beshear met with new U.S. Department of Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz Monday, regarding the uncertain future of the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant and its 1,100 workers.
Beshear called his meeting with Moniz a “productive exchange.”
The United States Enrichment Corporation is in the shutdown process at the DOE-owned plant after failing to negotiate a new federal contract.
Beshear said Moniz committed to moving as quickly as possible to evaluate any and all proposals to operate the plant. He also pledged to pay particular attention to any request for use of assets at the Paducah site.
Beshear strongly urged Moniz to move PGDP into the decommissioning and decontamination process as soon as possible, so that the property can be utilized for economic development in the future.
The DOE's request for offers issued last week mentions January 2014 as a deadline for a decision.