Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Thu August 22, 2013
Barkley Regional Airport's Numbers Plateau
The number of passengers flying through Barkley Regional Airport has plateaued, and according to Airport Marketing Director Eddie Grant, it's the result of sequestration. He says cutbacks in government travel have stunted the airport's growth.
“We’re not showing any kind of decline which is always a good thing. We’re not showing any growth either but, you know, treading water is better than drowning.”
Grant says the airport has approximately the same number of travelers as it did this time last year. However, national averages are down 6 percent. He says about 60 percent of Barkley’s traffic comes from business travelers, including government workers.