Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu August 22, 2013
Barkley Regional Airport's Numbers Plateau
The number of passengers flying through Barkley Regional Airport has plateaued, and according to Airport Marketing Director Eddie Grant, it's the result of sequestration. He says cutbacks in government travel have stunted the airport's growth.
“We’re not showing any kind of decline which is always a good thing. We’re not showing any growth either but, you know, treading water is better than drowning.”
Grant says the airport has approximately the same number of travelers as it did this time last year. However, national averages are down 6 percent. He says about 60 percent of Barkley’s traffic comes from business travelers, including government workers.