Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed May 1, 2013
Barkley Airport Tower Facing Uncertain Future
The future of Barkley Regional Airport's air traffic control tower and its six employees is still uncertain after a Congressional decision to withdraw mandatory furloughs.
BAR Manager Richard Roof updated the Paducah Mayor and Commissioners last night regarding the recent furloughs imposed on air traffic controllers. Last week, Congress approved legislation allowing the Federal Aviation Administration to withdraw the furloughs. However, the legislation does not mandate that the 149 contract towers including Barkley Regional Airport remain open.
At this time, Roof doesn’t know if Barkley’s tower and its employees will be operating past June 15.