Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue October 22, 2013
Audit Shows TVA Overbilled for Ash Spill Cleanup in Tennessee
The Tennessee Valley Authority’s inspector general says a company overbilled the federal utility for cleaning up a 2008 ash spill at the Kingston Fossil Plant in Roane, Tenn.
The inspector general’s office audited TVA’s bills from London-based AMEC Environment and Infrastructure Inc. and found it overbilled TVA nearly 2.2 million dollars. A summary of the report says AMEC loaded coal ash onto rail cars or trucks for off-site disposal under terms of a contract with TVA.
The audit looked at 19.3 million dollars in TVA costs from June 2009 through January 2011.
TVA spokesman Duncan Mansfield says TVA is evaluating the findings and its response. AMEC says it takes its responsibilities seriously in working on public projects and disagrees with the audit's findings.