Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Tue October 22, 2013
Audit Shows TVA Overbilled for Ash Spill Cleanup in Tennessee
The Tennessee Valley Authority’s inspector general says a company overbilled the federal utility for cleaning up a 2008 ash spill at the Kingston Fossil Plant in Roane, Tenn.
The inspector general’s office audited TVA’s bills from London-based AMEC Environment and Infrastructure Inc. and found it overbilled TVA nearly 2.2 million dollars. A summary of the report says AMEC loaded coal ash onto rail cars or trucks for off-site disposal under terms of a contract with TVA.
The audit looked at 19.3 million dollars in TVA costs from June 2009 through January 2011.
TVA spokesman Duncan Mansfield says TVA is evaluating the findings and its response. AMEC says it takes its responsibilities seriously in working on public projects and disagrees with the audit's findings.