Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
Mon September 24, 2012
Army Corps Reduces Barkley Lock Hours
The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to reduce operating hours at the Barkley Navigation Lock to save money. The Corps announced Monday it will go from a 24 hour to a 20 hour a day operation, starting Jan. 7, 2013.
The lock will close from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. Corps officials hope the change will free up more funding for maintenance costs. Two other locks on the Tennessee River will also operate on reduced hours.