Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue November 2, 2010
AP declares Republican Bill Haslam next Tennessee Governor
Nashville, TN – AP declares Republican Bill Haslam next Tennessee Governor. At 7:30 p.m., had a significant lead over Democrat Mike McWherter.
Bill Haslam (R) - 62.13%
Mike McWherter (D) -35.87%
Republican Bill Haslam has been elected Tennessee's 49th governor, overcoming his rival's claims that he was a "billionaire oil man" and his own controversial statements on gun rights. With less than 1 percent of precincts reporting, Haslam had 251,483 votes, or 71 percent, to Democrat Mike McWherter's 96,443, or 27 percent. Haslam was president of the family-owned Pilot chain of truck stops, one of the country's largest privately owned companies, until he was elected mayor of Knoxville in 2003. McWherter, son of former Gov. Ned McWherter, failed to capitalize on his famous family name. The Democrat recently hit Haslam over what he called his "reckless" pledge that he'd sign into law a potential measure to eliminate requirements to obtain a state-issued permit to carry handguns in public.