Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Thu April 18, 2013
Aluminum Smelter Notifies Employees of August Shut Down
The Century Aluminum smelter in Hawesville has notified employees that it plans to shut down operations Aug. 20 unless it can get lower electric rates.
The aluminum smelter has been in negotiations with its power supplier, Big Rivers Electric Corporation, for more than a year. Both parties say they are still trying to negotiate a deal before time runs out.
Legislation to lower the smelter's electric bills was introduced during the General Assembly, but pulled due to misinformation that surrounded the issue.
Century gave a 12-month notice last year to Big Rivers saying it would not renew its power contract. The plant employs about 700 workers.