Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Hopkinsville HS Students Allege Discrimination Over LGBT Related Yearbook Quote
Fri January 10, 2014
Alison Lundergan Grimes Files for Senate Election
Originally published on Thu January 9, 2014 7:54 pm
It’s official. Grimes is running for the senate.
After a ceremonial signing of her candidacy papers attended by Gov. Steve Beshear and four former Kentucky governors, Grimes told reporters that she intends to support a raise in the minimum wage and pay equity for women.
“I believe, especially on behalf of the women all across Kentucky, in closing the pay equity gap. Instead, Sen. McConnell votes against the Lilly Ledbetter Act and the Paycheck Fairness Act. Kentuckians, especially the women of Kentucky, deserve better," she says.
Grimes deflected a question about whether she would support Nevada Sen. Harry Reid as Democratic Senate Leader.
If elected, Grimes would be the first woman U.S. senator from Kentucky. Both she and McConnell face primary opponents.