Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri January 10, 2014
Alison Lundergan Grimes Files for Senate Election
Originally published on Thu January 9, 2014 7:54 pm
It’s official. Grimes is running for the senate.
After a ceremonial signing of her candidacy papers attended by Gov. Steve Beshear and four former Kentucky governors, Grimes told reporters that she intends to support a raise in the minimum wage and pay equity for women.
“I believe, especially on behalf of the women all across Kentucky, in closing the pay equity gap. Instead, Sen. McConnell votes against the Lilly Ledbetter Act and the Paycheck Fairness Act. Kentuckians, especially the women of Kentucky, deserve better," she says.
Grimes deflected a question about whether she would support Nevada Sen. Harry Reid as Democratic Senate Leader.
If elected, Grimes would be the first woman U.S. senator from Kentucky. Both she and McConnell face primary opponents.