Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Fri January 10, 2014
Alison Lundergan Grimes Files for Senate Election
Originally published on Thu January 9, 2014 7:54 pm
It’s official. Grimes is running for the senate.
After a ceremonial signing of her candidacy papers attended by Gov. Steve Beshear and four former Kentucky governors, Grimes told reporters that she intends to support a raise in the minimum wage and pay equity for women.
“I believe, especially on behalf of the women all across Kentucky, in closing the pay equity gap. Instead, Sen. McConnell votes against the Lilly Ledbetter Act and the Paycheck Fairness Act. Kentuckians, especially the women of Kentucky, deserve better," she says.
Grimes deflected a question about whether she would support Nevada Sen. Harry Reid as Democratic Senate Leader.
If elected, Grimes would be the first woman U.S. senator from Kentucky. Both she and McConnell face primary opponents.