Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri April 5, 2013
ACLU Looking Into Outside Groups in Kentucky Schools
The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky has sent open records requests to all 174 public school superintendents in the state seeking information about how outside organizations and people are granted access to elementary schools during school hours to distribute religious or other literature to students.
ACLU of Kentucky Executive Director Michael Aldridge says government officials cannot allow public schools to be used to promote one religion over another. The records request say schools throughout the state have allowed Gideons International into classrooms to distribute religious literature directly to students in violation of state law. With the letter, the ACLU of Kentucky asked district superintendents to ensure that the issue is addressed prior to next school year.