Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Fri March 30, 2012
Abortion, Ultrasound Battle Rages on Illinois House Floor
A legislative battle over abortions and ultrasounds has reached the Illinois House floor. Abortion opponents want to require that women be given the option of seeing an ultrasound image of their fetus before undergoing an abortion. Unlike proposals in some other states, it would not force women to obtain an ultrasound. Abortion-rights advocates are fighting the bill. They proposed a series of amendments yesterday that were meant to kill the idea, including making men view a video on the side effects of Viagra and other erectile-dysfunction medications. The House overwhelmingly rejected the amendments. But the sponsor postponed action on the underlying bill. Democratic Representative Joe Lyons of Chicago said some backers were absent, so a vote will be taken later.