Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Fri July 5, 2013
2nd Phase Of TN Common Core Training Starts July 9
State education officials are kicking off the second phase of training teachers on how to implement a new set of common core benchmarks for math and reading. More than 30,000 teachers from across the state signed up to be trained in sessions that started last month for math.
The training continues this month with sessions on English language arts implementation. The opening session is Tuesday at 16 locations across the state. The common core standards are described as a set of higher expectations in math and English that include more critical thinking and problem solving to help better prepare students for global competition. Forty-five states and the District of Columbia are adopting the standards.