Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Wed January 22, 2014
25-Year-Old Democrat Seeks First District Congressional Seat
A 25-year-old Democrat from Murray wants the chance to unseat Kentucky’s 10-term Republican Congressman Ed Whitfield in the first district. Wesley Bolin is a senior history major at Murray State, he is also employed by the university as a library assistant.
Bolin will officially file his candidacy paperwork next week. He currently has no primary opponent. Bolin has recently received coaching from the Progressive Change Campaign Committee in Washington D.C.. Bolin says he opened his campaign fundraising account today and plans a formal announcement tomorrow. He says he’s running to return the first district to its "democratic and progressive roots."
Whitfield is the first district’s only republican to hold seat since the late 1800’s. He has a history of trouncing opponents since 2000 with no democratic candidate getting more than 40% of the vote. Whitfield’s campaign war chest is nearly $2.0m