Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed January 22, 2014
25-Year-Old Democrat Seeks First District Congressional Seat
A 25-year-old Democrat from Murray wants the chance to unseat Kentucky’s 10-term Republican Congressman Ed Whitfield in the first district. Wesley Bolin is a senior history major at Murray State, he is also employed by the university as a library assistant.
Bolin will officially file his candidacy paperwork next week. He currently has no primary opponent. Bolin has recently received coaching from the Progressive Change Campaign Committee in Washington D.C.. Bolin says he opened his campaign fundraising account today and plans a formal announcement tomorrow. He says he’s running to return the first district to its "democratic and progressive roots."
Whitfield is the first district’s only republican to hold seat since the late 1800’s. He has a history of trouncing opponents since 2000 with no democratic candidate getting more than 40% of the vote. Whitfield’s campaign war chest is nearly $2.0m