Most Active Stories
- Significant Accumulations of Snow and Ice Today, Travel Discouraged
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Mon October 21, 2013
2014 Deadline Among Hurdles in Illinois Lawmaker Session
Illinois lawmakers reconvene Tuesday to address pressing issues such as pension reform and same-sex marriage but those issues could be pushed off again because of a looming deadline for opponents to challenge sitting lawmakers in 2014.
The filing date for anyone challenging a legislator in the March primaries is Dec. 9. That could make some lawmakers especially careful about casting controversial votes.
The lawmakers’ agenda includes proposed tax incentives aimed at keeping the new global headquarters of a Decatur-based business in Illinois, a supplement to the $35 billion budget passed in May and a mandatory minimum prison sentence for felony gun convictions.